Dine Out Winnipeg

Read a girl's accounts of her culinary exploits in Winnipeg, the city of a thousand restaurants!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Cora's

Cora's (or Chez Cora in French)
340 Provencher Boulevard
(204) 9281204
840 Waverley Street
(204) 9281200

When my Toronto friend Mikael visited me in Winnipeg in October, we made a spontaneous and speedy stop at Cora's on Waverly between pedicures and his date. He insisted, as I love Quebec and crepes, and he thought it was a crying shame I didn't know Winnipeg was home to Cora's.

After informing the host and our server we were in a rush, we were served very quickly. Mikael had the raspberry burst, I believe, with English cream. I had three crepes with "a mountain of fruit." I was wowed by the size of the crepes. For $9, it was good value.

So, this past weekend, when Ebony and I had some time to spare before going tobogganing, we went for another spontaneous brunch. Being a Sunday morning, the place was absolutely packed. Cora's specializes in breakfast fare, with a two-page span featuring all sorts of crepes, as well as other breakfast favourites. They also have lunch items. Cora's is well-known for serving fruit alongside every dish, though I have found that this "mountain" usually isn't a very big one. Or if your dish already has fruit in it, like the raspberry burst, then you won't get any additional fruit.

Ebony had the raspberry for lucie and I had the ham and swiss. We shared a mango and banana puree, which was thick and yummy, but oddly room-temperature, which I don't especially like in a smoothie. Ebony was disappointed with the size of her crepe, as I had been raving about how many I had eaten last time, but as she tasted the raspberries and cream, she became reconciled. For $10.15, though, it's a bit pricey. My ham and swiss was delish, but again, seemed overpriced for what it was. The accompanying fruit was not nearly as nicely displayed as in the menu, so it seems Cora's doesn't meet expectations.

Overall, it's a fun atmosphere that makes me feel like I'm back in a sunny cafe in Quebec (though blown up to franchise proportions). The food is good, though most of it is overpriced. If you went for some staples, though, Cora's is comparable price-wise to places like Stella's, while the food itself takes you out of Winnipeg and into Quebec.

7 Comments:

Blogger Keystone said...

Nice work - hope you don't mind, but I posted a link to your site on my blog. Keep up the restaurant visits - you're doing a great job.

2:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,

Just wanted to say I like the blog; keep it up! (I'm a student at the U of W.)

cheers...

11:07 p.m.  
Blogger FoodNinja said...

You should check A taste of India on sargent, Butter chicken to dye for, I did go The Fyxx based on your recomendation and it was fab-u-lous. Thanks a bunch.

3:42 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your restaurant reviews. I was thinking of doing the same for the few good palaces I know around Winnipeg. Here are a few recommendations, mostly SE wpg:

-Alladin's chez Sophie, a french pizza joint turned kinda higher-end by new owners from france, but with still good prices. Great pastas, original pizza.
-Spicy Noodle House on Osborne: name says it all, make sure to try the spicy peanut soup.
-Kim Sang: great vietnamese food, nice atmosphere.

-C

5:05 p.m.  
Blogger Anactoria said...

I really enjoyed your blog! Very helpful and well-written. I hope you'll start posting again soon.

:o)

1:03 p.m.  
Blogger Jason said...

There is a Cora's here in Calgary. My wife and I went a while ago and we found it quite expensive for breakfast. It might also be because Calgary is generally pretty expensive these days.

Most menu items were between $10-12. While the pile of fruit you get is a bit more unique than your standard fruit cup from Perkins, it just didnt seem to justify the price we paid. With drinks, tip and tax we left $40 behind. Far too much for breakfast IMO.

Jason (Sputnik)

9:50 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, Coras was started in Quebec and has expanded outwards. From what I read on our placemat on the weekend it is as far as Newfoundland to Alberta.
A lot bigger than I had originally thought!
http://www.chezcora.com/

2:07 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home